There are many anaphylaxis symptoms and signs that are a tell tale giveaway that someone is suffering from it. Be alert and always know what the symptoms of anaphylaxis are. More mild symptoms range from a tingling sensation in the mouth or even a swelling of the face – more serious symptoms can be the swelling of the tongue, or even difficulty breathing.
Anaphylaxis symptoms are caused by a reaction to a chemical – it can be in food, or it can be an external factor such as a bee sting. The reaction to either can be very severe, and anyone suspected to be suffering from anaphylaxis should be presented for medical attention immediately.
Bee stings and insect bites are common, especially in those summer months. You might not even realise how serious of a reaction a bee sting or bite will have until it actually happens, the thing to remember is to stay calm and composed if you suspect someone you know is suffering from anaphylaxis symptoms.
Of course food is something that most of us have on a daily basis, so in reality anaphylaxis can strike at any time, there’s a whole range of foods out there that can kick the symptoms off.
Aside from food and insect bites, there’s one other major cause of anaphylaxis, and that’s drugs or medicine. Whilst the majority of medicines will do most people good, some people may encounter a serious reaction to them. If you’re administering medicine to a child be sure to monitor them for signs of anaphylaxis after giving them their dosage.
We’ve already covered some of the more obvious signs of anaphylaxis, but there are others that may be harder to spot too. These include:
- – Slurred speech
- – Redness of the skin
- – Coughing
- – Diarrhoea
- – Difficulty when swallowing or breathing
- – Confusion and anxiety
The onset of the above symptoms is usually fairly rapid, within just a couple of minutes. If witnessed there are some precautions you can take to ensure that the sufferer stays safe; you must called the emergency services straight away.
Whilst waiting for the emergency services to arrive it’s important you do your best to remain calm and composed; and you also need to ensure you keep the patient calm, composed and reassured that help is on its way. Further anxiety created by panic is not helpful in situations like this.
If the reaction has been caused by something like a bee sting, you should do your best to remove it in an effort to prevent it releasing more venom into the patient. You should not squeeze the skin around the sting as this may cause more venom to be released; instead you should scrape it away with one of your finger nails if possible.
The key points to take away are that you should not me overwhelmed by the occurrence of anaphylaxis symptoms, remain calm and composed and ensure you call the emergency services in good time to ensure the patient is given the best chance of recovery.