Flax seeds are also called linseeds. Flax seeds are brown, tan or gold in color. Flax seeds are small and contain omega–3 fatty seeds also called alpha –linolenic acid (ALA), fiber and lignans. In Latin flax seeds are also called linum usitatissimum which means the most useful. Flax seeds are a good source of calcium, protein and iron. Here we will be discussing about some of the amazing health benefits of flax seeds.
Flax Seeds are rich in nutrients
Flax seeds are considered to be the oldest crops. Flax seeds contain protein, omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, vitamins and minerals. Flax seeds contain an important compound known as alpha – linolenic acid (ALA) which is essential for our body and this important compound is not reduced by our body. Flax seeds also contain lignans which are plant compounds possessing estrogen and antioxidant properties. These compounds are beneficial for reducing cancer. Two types of dietary fibers are presented in flax seeds namely soluble and insoluble. These fibers’ present in flax seeds are helpful for reducing risk of cancer.
Improves brain level
Flax seeds contain an important type of omega-3 fatty acids known as alpha – linolenic acid (ALA) which is related to your brain health. Deficiency in alpha- linolenic acid (ALA) results in the deformation in our brain. Brain is the organ of our body which contains a large amount of lipids. Flax seeds are helpful for improving our visual, intellectual and cerebral abilities of humans. Thus healthy and sharp brain is one of the many amazing health benefits of flax seeds.
Flax seeds are helpful for maintaining cholesterol levels in our body. Beneficial for improving lipid profile and vascular relaxation responses. Flax seeds are helpful for reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases by reducing cholesterol levels. Thus consuming flax seeds regularly will result in healthy and sound heart.
Anti cancer properties makes yet another amazing health benefits of flax seeds. Many studies have shown that flax seeds play a key role in fighting cancers like breast cancer, as lignans is converted into enterodiol and enterolactone. These two substances obtained from flax seeds are helpful for reducing estrogen levels and binding estrogen receptor sites. Thus flax seeds proves beneficial for fighting against risk of cancers by maintaining estrogen levels in our body.
Flax seeds contain fatty acids and lignans which are helpful for inhibiting expression of that gene which codes for an important enzyme known as glucose synthesizing enzyme in the liver. Thus by reducing the glucose levels flax seeds protect our body against diabetes.
Supports immune system
Strong immune comes as one of the health benefits of Flax Seeds. It contains protein which is made up of arginine and glutamine which are helpful for our immune system. Glutamine has been proved beneficial for reducing infection, anti-inflammatory actions and mortality flax seed also has presence of bio active peptides which are helpful for inhibiting malaria parasite.
Flax seeds contain two types of dietary fibers namely soluble and insoluble are helpful for preventing constipation. These fibers have high content of mucilage gums which act as laxatives for treating constipation.
Promotes weight loss
Flax seeds promotes healthy weight loss. Flax seeds contain the dietary fibers which have high content of mucilage gums. These gums are helpful for suppressing our hunger. These gums make us feel more satisfied after taking meals. Thus the food rich in dietary fiber promotes weight loss. Thus healthy and slim body is one of the amazing health benefits of flax seeds.
How to eat flax seeds
There are 10 different ways in which you can include flex seeds into your diet. We can use tips of eating flax seeds and making our food nutritious, tasty and healthy
- Firstly, we should avoid use of unripe and raw seeds. We should find golden variety of flax seeds. Flax seeds are used in preparation of various kinds of recipes. We can use flaxseed oil for cooking our food daily. Flax seeds oil give delicious taste to our food and make it healthy diet for us
- We can mix ground flaxseed in yogurt, as it makes it smooth.
- We can add roasted flax seeds in our breakfast including walnuts, almonds. Raisins also .we can add flax seeds in baking breads and some other goodies like cakes, cookies etc.
- A non – vegetarian can add flax seeds to the chicken dishes while roasting.
- Ground flax seeds can be mixed with pea nut butter for enhancing flavor.
- Flax seeds can also be used in puddings .2 tablespoon of flax seeds can make an apple crumble crunchier and tasty.
- Flax seeds can be added to the salads also.
- Roasted flax seeds can be added or sprinkled over the soups also.
- Flax seeds can be sprinkled over the ice –creams and chocolates to taste delicious.
- We can mix flax seeds to our coffee, protein shakes or healthy drinks.
Thus consuming flax seeds regularly help us to maintain our healthy in a better way. Some of these amazing health benefits of flax seeds will help us to prevent many chronic diseases. It also acts as a cure to many other diseases.
Related Topic: 5 Common Spices that Double as Medicinal Herbs