Many more people are drinking rooibos tea for weight loss, and you should too. The increasing popularity of this herbal tea amongst health and wellness enthusiasts is no surprise because of its natural sweetness and great health benefits. Celebrities such as Angelina Jolie and Sir Anthony Hopkins are known fans of this antioxidant-rich tea and Catherine Zeta Jones and Michael Douglas served rooibos-flavored ice cream during their wedding.
Apart from helping with weight loss, evidence suggests that Rooibos tea may be beneficial for cancer prevention, boosting the immune system, improving sleep and the treatment of digestive disorders.
Take a moment and watch the video below on how this incredible tea is actually processed.
What is Rooibos Tea?
Rooibos tea is made from Aspalathus linearis, a red bushy plant with fine, needle-shaped leaves, grown in South Africa. Rooibos tea is also called African red tea (or red tea) because of its reddish brown color when fermented. Its use as a medicinal plant dates back several centuries, as a cure for colic in babies.
Rooibos tea benefits
Rooibos tea is considered the best tea for weight loss because of its health-enhancing properties. The South African Rooibos Council claims that it is the only known source of an effective antioxidant, known as aspalathin, which helps to boost the body’s defence system. Apart from aspalathin, rooibos tea is also rich in another antioxidant known as nothofagin. Antioxidants help the body get rid of free radicals that hinder normal cell functions.
The Reasons Rooibos is the Best Tea for Weight Loss:
- Sweetness – Because of the natural sweetness of rooibos tea, you ordinarily don’t need to add sugar. This could count for much when you consider the added calories you may consume from adding sugar or sweeteners for flavor.
- Fewer Calories: A cup of rooibos tea will typically contain less than 2 calories, which is significantly lower than what you’d get from a cup of tea or coffee with milk and sugar or other carbonated drinks.
- It Reduces Oxidative Stress- Increased and sustained level of oxidative stress in the body is one of the reasons for fat build-up, especially around the belly. Drinking rooibos tea regularly can help you lose weight by reducing the levels of oxidative stress in the body.
- Diabetes Prevention and Management – In a recent study, it was observed that Rooibos extract helped to significantly lower glucose levels in diabetic non-human primates. This suggests the Rooibos tea may help in preventing Type 2 Diabetes by regulating blood sugar.
- Improves Lipid Profile – Having a normal lipid profile is important for your health. High levels of triglycerides in the body can lead to weight gain and heart complications. Being rich in antioxidants, rooibos tea can help improve the body’s lipid profile.
- Prevents Metabolic Diseases – Drinking rooibos tea can help to reduce the levels of triglyceride and LDL in the body while improving HDL levels. The result of this is a healthier body, preventing the onset of metabolic diseases.
Rooibos Tea Side Effects
While there are no known Rooibos tea side effects, you should talk to your doctor before using rooibos tea, if you’re pregnant or breast feeding a child. Also, use rooibos tea to complement your weight loss program and not as a substitute to it.
Rooibos tea can help you achieve your weight loss goals and you would do well to join others who are already seeing improvements in their well being, from drinking this super tea from South Africa.