Since flu or influenza virus is highly contagious, it is very important to identify its symptoms as early as possible to prevent any complications. Experts do believe that early diagnosis of the symptoms of influenza gives the condition a shorter duration.
The severity of its symptoms may vary from one person to another and this depends on an individual’s overall health condition as well as the type of flu that an individual is infected.
- High Fever – this is the most common symptoms of influenza attack. The temperature of the body elevates from the normal temperature to not more than 100˚F. High fever is often accompanied with chills and shivering, thus making the body feels vulnerable. If the temperature of the body is high and you are experiencing feverish chills, you have to check for other influenza symptoms to determine if you are really suffering from such condition.
- Body and Muscle Aches – this can be experienced if you have done too much physical activities. However, in case you are experiencing body and muscle aches for no apparent reason and it appears suddenly, then there is a chance that you might be suffering from influenza and the virus has already reached your respiratory tract. You may experience severe body pains along with flu.
- Constant Fatigue and Tiredness – if you are experiencing a viral attack, it is natural to feel sick and tired at all times. In case you are feeling fatigued and tired lately and it is sudden without any reason at all, then you might be suffering from influenza.
- Non-productive Cough – in case you are experiencing non-productive cough along with other symptoms of flu then there is a high risk that the influenza virus affects you. Take note that non-productive cough means it does not come with mucus.
- Sneezing – this is one of the classic symptoms of influenza. You may experience having stuffy nose with runny nose at times. The fluid from your nose and respiratory system can infect the environment, thus making it susceptible to various diseases.
- Burning Sensation and Redness of the Eyes – since the immune system of the body is affected, people experiencing symptoms of influenza like headache, fever and body aches may experience redness of the eyes. The elevated body temperature, on the other hand, may cause you to experience burning sensation in your eyes.
- Sore Throat – since the influenza virus affects the respiratory tract first, it is only common for you to experience sore throat. If you feel like your throat is dry, sore, and painful when talking, then this can be due to an influenza virus attack.
Aside from all the symptoms mentioned above, there are other symptoms of influenza as well. As mentioned earlier, the symptoms may vary from one person to another. Some individuals may also experience other symptoms that include the following:
- Lack of appetite
- Flushed skin
- Nasal congestion
Common Influenza Treatment for Adults
Before you opt for any treatment for influenza, it is necessary to learn about the symptoms of the condition first. The treatment for this condition may also depend on the individual’s overall health condition, the type of flu that affects the individual and his/her medical history.
If you are well aware of the symptoms of this condition and you suspect that you are suffering from influenza, it would be best to consult your physician immediately.
Your doctor may prescribe certain antiviral medications depending on the symptoms. However, since these medications usually come with side effects, it would be best to consult your physician first before opting for any medication.
If you do not want to opt for these types of drugs from influenza, you should know that there are home remedies available for this condition as well. In case you are infected with influenza virus, make sure that you consume lots of fresh juices, water and soup to alleviate the symptoms of the condition.
It is also necessary that you take enough rest and avoid any mental or physical stress. There are certain painkillers that you can also consume to reduce body aches. For congestion, you can also opt for steam inhalation for relief as well.
Learning about the symptoms of influenza can help you diagnose the condition at the earliest possible time. The sooner you identify its symptoms, the sooner you can start on the treatment and the better your condition will be.
To prevent acquiring such condition, make sure that you always wash your hands in order to prevent spreading the infection. Use tissue paper or cloth to cover your mouth when sneezing or coughing to prevent transmitting the virus to other people. This can help you prevent acquiring the condition or spreading it to your family members.